Welcome to Break A Recipe! My name is Nina and I break recipes! I swear it’s a good thing!
Let me explain. I take traditional recipes and break them, making them free of grain, dairy, egg, gluten, soy, and other allergens.
How do I do this? Lots of experimentation, changing one ingredient at a time until I get mouth watering results that we can enjoy!
Today’s recipe started out as a traditional recipe for crescent rolls…and after breaking it several times it became a sweet breakfast bread. Look at this bread. Doesn’t it look good enough to eat?
How exactly did that happen? I started by replacing the flour with my grain free flour blend, the egg it called for with my egg replacer, and after a few tries….we have a delicious sweet bread which is excellent for toasting!
Bake it in a loaf pan or as a mound. You’re guaranteed to enjoy this bread!
For an extra filling breakfast enjoy it with some of my Just Like Eggs!
Okay, it looks like bread…but since it’s free of grains and allergens…What’s in it?
I love it when people ask me this question! Of course we’ll be using only the best ingredients. You guessed it, Unicorn Farts! I get asked what ingredients I can possibly cook with so often, I can’t resist!!
Back to the real ingredients. We aren’t using wheat, eggs, dairy, corn, soy, potatoes, or grains. We are using other ingredients like coconut flour, coconut milk, chickpea flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, yeast, cream of tartar, baking soda and sugar.
We know what’s in the recipe…how do we make it?
We’ll heat the milk in a sauce pan. Dissolve the sugar with a whisk and then whisk in the coconut oil.
It’s extremely important that we allow the the milk, sugar, and coconut oil to cool before we add the yeast.
I find it easy to use candy thermometer to check the temperature of the coconut milk. It’s important to wait until the milk has cooled to between 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit before we add the yeast. If the liquids are too warm, we’ll kill the yeast and make a brick instead of bread! (Yes, I’ve done this by accident, because I am that special. Now I use a candy thermometer to keep this from happening.)
We’re going to use a stand mixer to knead the dough. We’ll grease the loaf pan, transfer the bread to the loaf pan. Allow the bread to rise and then bake it for 45-55 minutes.
The result will be a delicious loaf of sweet breakfast bread perfect for toasting, breakfast sandwiches, or for French Toast!
Are you ready to Break a Recipe? Let’s Go Shopping!
- Stand Mixer
- Measuring Cups (Dry)
- Measuring Cups (Liquid)
- Measuring Spoons
- Sauce pan
- Loaf Pan
- Candy Thermometer
These ingredients and equipment are what I use in my own kitchen. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase anything through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for helping to “keep the lights on,” here at Break A Recipe.
Enough With the Words, Let’s Break A Recipe!
First Blend the Grain-Free Flour
Grain Free Flour Blend
- Mixing bowl
- Container for storing extra flour
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- Add tapioca flour, chickpea flour, and coconut flour to a mixing bowl. Using a large spoon, stir ingredients until well mixed.
Then Follow The Instructions For Making The Bread
Best Grain-Free Breakfast Bread (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Allergen Friendly)
- Stand mixer
- Liquid Measuring Cups
- Dry Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- loaf pan (I use a stoneware pan)
- 1 Candy Thermometer (to measure the temperature of the milk so you don't kill the yeast
- 1 2 Quart Sauce Pan
- 1 Serrated Bread Knife
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk (in the carton, not canned).
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ Cup Sugar I use beet sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
- ½ Cup Chickpea Flour
- 4 Cups Grain Free Flour
- 2¼ teaspoons Xanthan Gum
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- In a 2 quart sauce pan, heat coconut milk until steaming. Turn off heat and whisk in sugar until dissolved. Whisk in coconut oil. Cool until 110°F.
- Transfer coconut milk, sugar, and coconut oil into the mixing bowl for your stand mixer. Sprinkle yeast over coconut milk mixture. Allow yeast to rest for 5 minutes. Whisk.
- Sprinkle chickpea flour over the top of yeast mixture. Using whisk, mix chickpea flour into coconut milk. (sprinkling the flour, lessens the possibility of clumps. you can sift the flour if you like)
- Add grain-free flour to mixing bowl, then insert mixing bowl into stand mixer. Using dough hook, mix flour into bowl on the lowest speed.
- When grain free flour is well mixed into bowl, it will look like a batter and not a dough. Evenly sprinkle xanthan gum, cream of tartar, and baking soda over the top of bowl. Mix on lowest speed 2 minutes. Mixture will become thick and doughy.
- Increase speed to 2, knead 9 minutes. While dough is kneading, grease a loaf pan.
- Transfer dough to greased loaf pan. Allow dough to rise 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit while dough rises.
- Bake 45-55 minutes. Bread is done when it has a golden appearance. Remove and cool completely before slicing.
For More Amazing Recipes, Join My Free Newsletter
Let’s See It Happen!
Why I Bake My Own Bread
- It’s Delicious! I have a hard time with the taste and texture of commercially available gluten free bread.
- Homemade bread is the freshest bread!
- This is the only bread I’ve found that is free of the top allergens and free of grains! So It’s the safest for me!
- I save money! -this bread costs about $5 per loaf, grain free bread that’s free of nuts is more than double that!
- Texture–The crunchy crust and soft center can’t be found in a pre-packaged bread.
- Availability--I have bread when I want it. I’m not tracking down a loaf of bread at stores that may have it or not. You know how hard it is to find allergen friendly foods. I’m done spending my Saturdays going to 7 stores only to be out of luck!
- I know exactly what’s in this bread! No additives, no preservatives, just fresh ingredients I feel good about cooking with!
- Freshness–-Enjoying freshly baked bread is an experience like no other!
- I can Break The Recipe as I like! Try using coconut sugar or cinnamon in this bread! Like I said at the beginning of this post, this bread started as a recipe for something else. It would be great to roll out and use for a sweet filled bread.
How Hard Is It To Make Bread?
Making bread isn’t as hard as you think. As long as you have a stand mixer to do most of the work for you, and a thermometer to measure the temperature of the coconut milk, you can do this! Really!
Let’s break down the steps:
- Heat the coconut milk, sugar, and coconut oil.
- Let cool to 110 degrees Fahrenheit, transfer to mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the Yeast over the top of the liquid. Let stand.
- Whisk in chickpea flour. Add the grain free flour blend.
- Sprinkle the xanthan gum and cream of tartar, and baking soda.
- Mix on lowest speed 2 minutes
- Knead for 9 minutes!
- Rise 20 minutes
- Bake 45-55 minutes
The same as with anything we do for the first time, there are some tricks to making bread, but you can do it! You’ll get better with practice and you’ll know exactly what you’re eating. And of course, you’ll be able to Break The Recipe exactly as you like! I can’t wait to hear how your bread turns out. Reach out to me on social media or leave a comment here to tell me about your baking!
Before You Go…
Thank you for reading, for trying this recipe, and for taking a chance on a recipe made with unique ingredients!
You’ll find it’s easy to make, and your body will feel much better after eating it. If you’re cooking this for someone with allergies, thank you again for supporting them. You’re an amazing friend. Pin this recipe so you can share it with those who need it, and find it later!
Please tell me how your recipe turned out when you make it. Click here to reach me directly. You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Pinterest using the links below. I really enjoy your feedback and comments. I can’t wait to hear how your recipe turned out!